This is an exquisite antique ladies handkerchief in unusually good condition, with a deep, luxurious lace border which I believe to be Honiton. This is an heirloom piece which has obviously been cared for and if cherished further, will continue to give pleasure and grow in value for future generations.
- The handmade Honiton bobbin lace has been appliqued onto a fine net with floral and leafy designs, scrolls and 'pops' or circles. There are some very fine infill stitches in the centre of the flowers giving an overall appearance of a very fine piece
- The lace is appliqued onto each corner of the very fine lawn centre with leaves and petals
- The inner edges of the border have a repeated curved pattern with 'pops'
- The outer edge of the lace border is scalloped with tiny Honiton lace edging and very fine infills and little picots
- The condition of this stunning handkerchief is excellent! There are two breaks in the lace on the outer edge: one a break and the other there is a small piece missing, otherwise this looks fabulous
- This handkerchief is large and somewhat decadent so perhaps it was made to show off the lace, cost of the piece and a reflection of the bride's dowry: it measures 13.5" square and the lace border a sumptuous 3" deep and 5" in the corners excluding the leaves onto the centre